I suggest you ...

open .pdn and .psd files.

being able to open paint.net files and psd files in Pinta would be extremely useful

197 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    psumnerpsumner shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris TaklisChris Taklis commented  · 

i think it should be open psd files ... especially when the most users use photoshop and want to try something else in linux.

• Anonymous commented  · 

"Found the following link if someone still interested how to convert Paint.net files to Pinta":

Very nice, but unfortunately not very practical for opening/using the thousands of .pdn files I already have. Pinta NOT being able to open .pdn files is the major reason preventing me from switching to Linux.
        I'm not a computer programmer, but surely this is a very basic and obvious requirement, for a PDN clone? I don't know how difficult it would be to do, but surely it would have been a good idea to START there? And while you are at it, I really miss a magnetic lasoo on .pdn, how about one for Pinta please?

• grofatygrofaty commented  · 

@jpxsat, actually Pinta is not a Paint.net clone it is like it is stated on Pinta's web page: "modeled after Paint.net".

I think Paint.net should implement OpenRaster format and it could be read with Pinta, Gimp and any other program that can read standard image manipulation files. Because Paint.net is using its own closed format no other program is able to open it. Despite the possibility that Paint.net ones was open source (and currently it is not anymore) that could lead to someone implement file format available from source code, but Paint.net changes and so new additions would probably not be working in any attempt.

Most probably this is a nice feature if someone could develop as Pinta add-on (extension).

• geertgeert commented  · 

i am a paint dot net user on windows i have so many websites on pdn format and i am not able to help myself on linux please make it priority no. 1 because this would make this program a hit

• jpxsatjpxsat commented  · 

paint.net files should be supported since pinta it's a paint.net clone...

• IcyEyeGIcyEyeG commented  · 

Regarding the *.pdn file format, isn't it possible to port the implementation from the Paint.NET opensource 3.x releases?

• Robert NordanAdminRobert Nordan (Pinta Developer Team, Pinta) commented  · 

The idea is good, but implementing it is very complex because psds have a lot of complex features we don't use and pdns use an undocumented binary format. So don't hold your breath for this to come anytime soon.

• anson parkeranson parker commented  · 

specifically pdn's since the gimp'll do psd's already (albeit it's pretty limited)

• anson parkeranson parker commented  · 

ditto - that's the main reason i downloaded it...

Feedback and Knowledge Base